Teaching Students to Summarize with Google Docs

Learning to write a summary can be a lot of work for students.  It is not always easy to pick the appropriate information to include.  One way I help my students write a summary is with google docs. 











I start by sharing this template with students.  The question words focus the student on the main points of the story.

Learning to write a summary can be a tricky skill for students.  It is not always easy to pick the appropriate information to include.  One way I help my students write a summary is with google docs.  Click here to learn more.

In the beginning, I assign a question word to each student, and we work on the document together.  Students can type words and phrases with relevant information.

Learning to write a summary can be a tricky skill for students.  It is not always easy to pick the appropriate information to include.  One way I help my students write a summary is with google docs.  Click here to learn more.







Now it is time to put those sentences together into a nice paragraph!  The summary chart is set up in the order that the information should be written.  The information typed in blue can all be combined into an introductory sentence. The information in red can be combined for the following sentence and the information in the green other section can be a closing sentence.






There are a few different ways that students can complete their paragraphs:
  • Students can give sentences orally, and the teacher can type
  • Print the chart and handwrite it underneath.
  • Type the summary
  • Use the Voice Typing option (in tools) to type






My students have been obsessed with Chatterpix lately.  Chatterpix is a free app, and they use the iPad to record their summary.










Once your students get comfortable with this chart, they can become more independent.  You can:
  • Assign students their own summary chart to work on individually.
  • Give students a summary chart without color coding.







C L I C K H E R E to link to the summary chart for you to use!  It is shared as “view only,” so you must go to File > Make a copy to edit the doc.

http://bit.ly/GoogleSummary

Thank you for taking the time to check out how I use google docs to teach students how to write a summary!  Let me know in the comments if you have any questions or other ideas on using google docs in the classroom!

Pin for later:
Learning to write a summary can be a tricky skill for students.  It is not always easy to pick the appropriate information to include.  One way I help my students write a summary is with google docs.  Click here to learn more.