5 Reading Resources for Google Classroom




These days I am using Google Classroom more than I ever imagined!  It is such an amazing resource for both teachers and students.  I have always used it as a hub for student materials and links, but with distance learning, I am assigning digital activities to my reading groups exclusively through Google Classroom.  Here are my 5 favorite reading resources for Google Classroom:

1. Read and Cover

Read and Cover is as simple as it sounds!  Students read the word and then drag the X to cover the word.   When I assign this activity, I make sure that each student has their own slide to that I can provide individual feedback.  The Google Slides provide evidence if the students were able to accurately read the word and find the picture.  I use screencastify to record myself giving feedback to the students on their Read and Cover Board.


2. Digital Flashcards

Digital Flashcards are a great way to provide students with additional practice applying a specific vowel pattern.  I alternate between posting flashcard sets with decodables words and phrases/sentences.  Students can click their way through the slide show.  I also like to add a bitmoji of myself as the last slide so they know when they have reached the end. By linking the slides to Google Classroom, they can read the words to themselves, a family member, pet, or even stuffed animal!


 3. Digital Task Cards

Digital Task Cards are another great activity that provides an opportunity to see your student's work and provide feedback. The task cards that I use have text boxes for students to type the missing letters or type the word.  My students are working on a variety of skills, but the good news is I have a variety of task cards!



I can also assign the task cards in Google Classroom via Google Jamboard or add a link to the task cards is Seesaw.  This interactive whiteboard app allows students to use the pen tool to write directly on the set of task cards.



I can leave comments on individual slides via a screencastify video or text, private comments once they have turned their task cards in, or record myself doing a walkthrough of their work with screencastify.  This is another activity where you will want to make sure that each student has their own copy. 

4. Self Checking-Phonics Games

Self Checking Phonics Games are an engaging way for students to practice specific skills and get immediate feedback if the answer they chose was correct or incorrect.  If they answered correctly, they are prompted to the next word or picture.  If they answer incorrectly they are prompted to try again.  This is an activity that the kids are always asking for!

5. Digital Literature Circles 

Digital Literature Circles are a great way for students to collaborate virtually.  It also provides an opportunity to engage in critical thinking and reflection as they read, discuss, and respond to books. Literature circles are such a versatile resource and can be used with both fiction and informational texts as well as chapter books and articles!


When sharing via Google Classroom, it is important to choose the middle option that students can edit.  They will need to be able to work collaboratively rather than each having their own sets of slides.  If you want to learn more about Digital Literature Circles, check out this blog post.


How else are you using Google Classroom?  Let me know in the comments. 

Pin for Later:

Google Classroom is an amazing resource for both students and teachers.  Here are my 5 favorite reading activities using Google Classroom. You can reinforce many skills with these reading resources including phonics, encoding, decoding, and fluency.  These activities are perfect for distance learning. (distance learning, google classroom, reading activities, reading interventions)